The brand of Lee C. Moore, A Woolslayer Company is firmly rooted in the legacy of innovation. Their recognition for outstanding, innovative design and exceptional quality began in 1907 with a salesman by the name of Lee C. Moore and has been carried into the next century by Homer J. and Joseph R. Woolslayer.
In 1912, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Lee C. Moore patented a system that clamped and secured bracing to steel pipe legs to build a steel derrick. At that time, oil derricks were commonly wooden cable tool rigs.
Lee C. Moore’s foresight and vision of using steel for the construction of oil drilling structures proved timely and correct. Lee C. Moore became a prominent designer and manufacturer of steel derricks prior to the adaptation of API Standards in the 1920s and was a major contributor to the development of the standards. By the end of the 1920s, wooden drilling structures were largely replaced with steel structures.
Homer J. Woolslayer was named Vice President and Partner in the company in 1936. He led a design team in Tulsa, Oklahoma to develop a jackknife derrick comprised of welded steel sections that could be assembled horizontally at ground level and also raised vertically by the drawworks with wire rope raising lines.
Lee C. Moore displayed the first cantilever mast at the 1938 International Petroleum Exposition in Tulsa. The cantilever mast invention was immediately accepted by the oil drilling industry and phased out “stick built” derricks for land drilling operations. While in a variety of types, sizes and special applications, this cantilever mast is still in use today on onshore rigs, jack-ups, drill ships and semi-submersible rigs.
With offices in Tulsa, Oklahoma and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Lee C. Moore became widely known as the leading designer and manufacturer of drilling structures under the direction of Homer J. Woolslayer. Upon his passing in 1988, ownership was handed to his son, J.R. Woolslayer, who had more than 20 years’ experience with the company as head of sales. J.R. Woolslayer remained President of the company from late 1988 into the 21st century.
Today, Lee C. Moore, A Woolslayer Company headquarters is located at the Port of Catoosa, near Catoosa Oklahoma. This facility houses the operations and engineering personnel as well as space for the manufacture and assembly of various structures and components.